Pescetarianism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pescetarianism is the practice of a diet that includes seafood and excludes mammals and birds. In addition to fish or shellfish, a pescetarian diet typically includes some or all of vegetables, fruit, buts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no meat." The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular use of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, does not consider pescetarianism a valid vegetarian diet.
Terminology
Pescetarian is a neologism formed as a portmanteau of the Italian word pesce ("fish") and the English word "vegetarian".
Health benefits
One of the most commonly cited reasons is that of health, based on findings that red meat is detrimental to health in many cases due to non-lean red meats containing high amounts of saturated fats. Furthermore, eating certain kinds of fish raises HDL (so-called "good cholesterol") levels, and some fish are a convenient source of omega-3 fatty acids and have numerous health benefits in one food variety.
Environmental ethics
Livestock farms can be perceived as an inefficient food source with a negative impact on the environment. Most cattle, pigs and chickens that supply the
Comparisons to other diets
Pescetarianism is similar to many traditional diets emphasizing fish as well as fruits, vegetables and grains. Many coastal regions tend to eat this way and these features characterize the traditional Mediterranean diet and the diets of many countries in Asia, Northern Europe and the
Some pescetarians describe themselves as vegetarian and often people unfamiliar with vegetarianism believe the pescetarian diet to be vegetarian. In common with vegetarians, pescetarians often eat eggs and dairy, in addition to fruits, vegetables and grains.
__________________________________________
I am proud to say that I have been a pescetarian for four months, and it has been an amazing experience. I love food, and the thought of limiting myself from any sort of food was unfathomable. But as time has gone on I have realized that my body reacts acutely to certain foods; such as meat or dairy or grains. I have learned to read the signs that my body gives me and cut back on some ingredients, and alter my lifestyle as needed to feel good. A few months back I noticed that whenever I ate any sort of meat, be it red or poultry, I would feel heavy and just uncomfortable. It was as if my body was slowly shutting down, and I would become lethargic. One day I decided to test out the waters of not eating meat. First off, it dwindles down menus at restaurants. For an indecisive person like me it helps when I'm really hungry and eating out. It also limits me to picking healthy food choices. I feel good after I eat, never bogged down as I used to after a deli-meat sandwich or chicken salad. Granted I loved a nice rare steak, but I can live without it. And burgers, well there's enough alternatives out there that even burgers are not missed. It's an adventure for me in the kitchen as well. I am learning new ways to cook, finding many new recipes, and experimenting with cooking tofu. My tastes have changed and I enjoy "alternative" foods. I have always been "all about "whole grains, and not eating anything enriched or packed with preservatives. This is the next logical step. So I am proud to say it has been four months, and my adventure goes on. I foresee this continuing indefinitely, unless my health and body tell me otherwise.

0 comments:
Post a Comment